Alpha Pi Sigma Sorority, Inc. was established at California State University Northridge on March 29, 2008. Alpha Pi Sigma's mission to professionally develop women leaders has created a innovative forum for women to give back to the community. Our sisterhood is composed of educated, professional, diverse women committed towards the empowerment of women and the Latin American community. We do this by providing leadership development, academic enrichment programs, community service and activities geared towards the appreciation, promotion, and preservation of our surrounding communities. We are excited to share that we have officially become a Non-Profit Organization as of early 2015, focusing our service to giving back to our surrounding communities in need.
Alpha Pi Sigma was founded on March 10, 1990 on the San Diego State University campus, when a group of Latina women, from a variety of backgrounds, came together and saw the need to form an organization that would unite and support Latina women on the university campus. The organization has since grown nationwide and currently has 17 chapters. Our establishment made us the first Latina based sorority at San Diego State University! We have since been committed to promoting our members academically, personally, and professionally. Our national philanthropy is geared toward the fight against cancer as well as our annual Teddy Bear Drive, where we collect teddy bears for orphanages in Mexico. Our chapter philanthropy changes based upon the area we feel is in need which differentiates each year.
Alpha Pi Sigma's Purposes are...
- To encourage and promote academic excellence of our members through the establishment of study groups, tutoring services and mentoring.
- To establish a scholarship fund to benefit members of the organization and/or transfer and high school students.
- To inspire unity, friendship and sisterhood among its members.
- To promote and develop the attainment of leadership skills for its members in order to serve the organization and the Latino community.
- To further the professional careers of its members through networking with professionals in the community.
- To encourage cultural awareness and interest in helping the Latino community through volunteer work.